Buck-IRB is the electronic system used for the submission and review of exempt and Institutional Review Board (IRB) research performed by Ohio State investigators. Buck-IRB streamlines the exempt and IRB submission processes for investigators.
To access the new Buck-IRB system, login at go.osu.edu/Buck-IRB
Buck-IRB System Tips
Click here for a print version of this guide.
- Because all system communications are delivered via email, it is essential that you keep your profile information up-to-date, particularly your contact email address. Your system profile can be updated at any time at http://go.osu.edu/orregister.
- You must actively save your data on each screen; the system will not automatically save the data entered. To save your data, you must click “Continue” or “Save & Continue”. These buttons are located at the top-right or bottom-right of each page.
- Do not use your browser’s backspace or other control keys to navigate in Buck-IRB.
- Always use “Continue” or “Save & Continue” in the navigation bar to move forward through the form pages.
- To move efficiently throughout the form, use the left-hand “Form Menu.” Remember to use the “Continue” or “Save & Continue” buttons to save any work before navigating to another form page.
- You must provide an answer or upload a document for every form field that is flagged with a red asterisk *.
- The “Form Menu” will display different icons to indicate whether a section is complete or requires attention:
- indicates that you have completed all required information.
- indicates that there are items that must be completed before the form can be submitted.
- indicates the number of items you have added to a particular section (i.e., a “3” in “Study Personnel” indicates that 3 study team members have been saved).
- The system will alert you with on-screen messaging and links when items require your attention.
- Navigating Buck-IRB (General System Navigation)
- Signature Processes in Buck-IRB
- Study Migration into Buck-IRB
- Continuing Reviews in Buck-IRB
- Amendments in Buck-IRB
Final Study Reports
When research has been completed and the investigators are no longer accessing identifiable data, a Final Study Report can be submitted to ORRP. Final study reports for all research should be emailed to the appropriate IRB inbox: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help and Questions
If your department or research unit would like to request a training session for your area or if you have general questions regarding Buck-IRB, please contact Susan Ebert, e-IRB Program Director, at 614-292-0184 or email@example.com.
Technical problems with the Buck-IRB system can be directed to ORhelpdesk@osu.edu.
Click below to view a CarmenConnect video of a previously recorded Buck-IRB general training session. This recording may be useful if you are unable to attend a scheduled, in-person Buck-IRB training session.
- Buck-IRB General Training (recording)
Susan S. Ebert, MS, RD, CIP
Office of Responsible Research Practices